Chicken Spinach Salad is a winter salad that’s a meal by itself, loaded up with textures and flavors.
Visit your local farmers’ market to pick up ingredients for this delicious salad.
Although, it may be below zero for the umpteen day in a roll, salads will save you from another roast, stew, or casserole. Let’s start thinking of winter as the next great salad season. The greens are full of flavor. Root vegetables are plentiful. Squashes reign. And you can douse it all with a maple syrup dressing. Sprinkle handfuls of seeds and nuts. What’s not to love. This salad is loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, B Vitamins, and folate.
To make this salad from The Roasted Root, roast butternut squash and chicken tenders. Add to a salad of spinach leaves, pecans, golden raisins, apple slices, and drizzle a vinaigrette of olive oil, cider vinegar, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
I love this salad. It’s full of wholesome foods, a little crunch, and enough sweetness to keep you dreaming of more salad. Enjoy.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the chicken and butternut squash:
- 1 pound boneless chicken tenders or breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the Salad:
- 5 ounces of fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup raw pecan halves
- ¼ cup golden raisinis
- 1 large green apple, cored and sliced
- For the vinaigrette: whisk all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl until smooth.
- For the chicken and butternut squash: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.Place chicken in a casserole dish. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle with oregano, and paprika. Place the squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Roast the squash and chicken in the oven for 25 minutes or until the squash is tender and golden brown. Continue to cook the chicken until cooked through.
- For the Salad: place spinach in bowl or on individual plates. Top with pecans, raisins, squash, chicken and apples. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad.