Gorgeous mushrooms from Mariaville Mushroom Men are found at local farmers’ markets. This recipe gives you a good reason to pick up a variety of mushrooms and make a rich delicious dish full of surprises. While you’re at the market, pick up some fresh ricotta.
Pasta with Mushrooms and Ricotta is easy to make. It’s perfect for an elegant dinner or when you’re pressed for time. Bobby from Mariaville Mushroom Men helped me pick out the best combination of mushrooms for this dish, Pioppino, oyster, and cinnamon caps.
Pioppino mushrooms are beautiful with their velvet brown, tan color. They have a pork flavor and are perfect for a stir-fry, white sauce or with pork, fish or chicken.
Oyster mushrooms have a light to dark gray color and get their name from an oyster shape. They have a chewy soft texture and mild flavor.
Cinnamon caps have a slightly nutty flavor and a little crunchy firm texture. The caps and stems are edible. The name must come from the color because they don’t taste like cinnamon.
Cook your favorite pasta and reserve a ½ cup of water. In a skillet with oil, cook garlic, the mushrooms, and fresh thyme. Add the cooked pasta with reserved water to the skillet with half of the ricotta and half of walnuts. Serve on a platter topped with the remaining ricotta and walnuts. The walnuts add some flavor and a crunch but not necessary so feel free to omit. Don’t skip the honey drizzle.
Enjoy this recipe from Saveur.
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (Pioppino, Oyster, and Cinnamon caps mushrooms) cut or torn into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoons roughly chopped thyme, plus more for garnish
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound pappardelle or favorite pasta
- 1 cup ricotta
- ½ cup toasted walnut pieces
- honey for drizzling
- Melt butter in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high, working in batches, cook mushrooms, 1 Tablespoon thyme, garlic, salt and pepper until mushrooms are golden, 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large sauce pan of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until ad dente. Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup water. Add pasta, water, half the ricotta, walnuts, salt and pepper to skillet and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with remaining ricotta and thyme. Drizzle with honey.