Oh my goodness. Matzo covered in layers of caramel, chocolate, dried fruit and nuts is so delicious. If that’s not enough, drizzle on more chocolate. Expect gooey hands with this treat.
There are similar recipes using saltines but I love matzo. They are sturdier than saltines for this multi-layered sweet treat.
To make this treat from David Lebovitz, line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Make sure the foil folds over the end of the pan and then add parchment paper. Arrange the matzo in the pan, breaking up some of the matzo to fill in gaps. For the caramel layer, melt butter and brown sugar and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour the caramel over the matzo and bake for 15 minutes. Scatter chocolate chips over the caramel. Allow the chips to soften for a few minutes then spread the chips evenly over the caramel.
Add whatever toppings you like, such as raisins, nuts, dried cranberries etc. Drizzling melted white chocolate makes it decadent.
It’s sweet and you need a napkin. Enjoy.
- 4 to 6 sheets unsalted matzohs
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 1 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
- big pinch of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional) and other dried fruit, e.g. raisins, cranberries etc
- Line a rimmed baking sheet (11 X 17 inches) completely with foil, making sure the foil goes up and over the edges. Cover the foil with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of the sheet pan with matzoh, breaking extra pieces as necessary to fill in any spaces.
- In a 3 - 4 quart saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter is melted and the mixture begins to boil. Boil for 3 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add the salt and vanilla, and pour over matzoh. Working quickly spread the caramel with a spatula.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. As it bakes it will bubble up.
- Remove from the oven and immediately cover with chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes, then spread with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds, raisins, dried cranberries or other toppings.
- Let cool completely, then break into pieces and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.